Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:07:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: volume control on SCSI Toshiba CDdrive

As Wilko Bulte wrote...
> As Stephen McKay wrote...
>
> > On Friday, 21st November 1997, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > >I just changed my old 4x Toshiba cdrom to a 12x Toshiba.
> > >To be precise, it is a TOSHIBA  CD-ROM XM-5701TA 3136.
> > >
> > >The 4x Toshiba audio volume was controllable using the WorkMan 'slide'.
> > >It seems that the 12x Toshiba does not respond to this. AFAIK
> > >the volume stuff is part of the SCSI standard these days.
> > >
> > >Any comments of fellow XM5701 owners?
> >
> > I have the same problem.  Everything else works. :-)
> >
> > xmcd could control volume on my old NEC 4x, but the new Toshiba ignores it.
> > It's just about impossible to keep a list of good working hardware. :-(
> >
> > Does anyone have an inside contack at Toshiba?  Maybe there is a workaround.
> > If not, at least they will be able to club somebody!
>
> I'll try to find out at work. Digital buys a lot of Toshiba drives, so
> maybe I can get more info on this.

Well it took some time, but I haven't given up:

TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA 0557

is a firmware rev that has *working* audio control. I found out by borrowing
a Digital RRD46 which is a XM5701 in disguise. It contains the RRD46
firmware, but also the XM-5701TA 0557 firmware. Jumper selectable by the
parity jumper (parity is for our firmware always enabled, the jumper is
'borrowed' so the hardware can remain as-is). I'm not sure if there are
two completely seperate firmware revs, or only some settings/mode pages
are changed. I suspect it is the latter.

The firmware itself lives in a socketed SMD PROM.

As far as getting in touch with a contact in Toshiba I did not have as much
luck.

Is there anybody on the list that has the right contact within Toshiba
to get the music loving XM-5701TA owners a working firmware? It is at least
proven by now that Toshiba has the technology ;-)

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------