Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:36:32 CAT-200
From:      "Andre Pekelaar" <andre@mail.ct.paywise.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp locking up

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.2 system installed as a dial-on-demand gateway
for mail (using sendmail) and internet browsing (using squid
as a proxy) between my Novell LAN and my ISP.  I don't know much
about the system, as it was installed by my ISP and we mostly treat
it as an "appliance", although I did program on a SCO Unix system
more than 6 years ago.

Most of the time it works fine, but some days the modem connection
just locks up -- if I telnet from my Win95 machine to the FreeBSD
box, and try to ping my ISP, there is no response.  Also, the
line should drop after 2 or 3 minutes of inactivity, but something is
keeping the line open, because it will stay in this "locked up" state
for half-an-hour or more.

Sometimes, going to the box and pulling the phone line out of the
wall and re-inserting it will fix the problem (the line drops, it
re-dials, presumably gets a cleaner connection, and life gets back to
normal).  Other times, this gets another couple of minutes of life
if we're luck, and then it locks up again.

Presumably, these problems are related to line noise and poor line
quality, but a couple of questions come to mind:

1) Is there a way to force ppp to drop the line, without me having to
walk across the room to unplug the phone line?  ("reboot" works, but
I was hoping for a more subtle method)

2) Why does the line stay open when there is no throughput?

3) Could this problem be related to an old release of FreeBSD?
Should I get my ISP to install a more up-to-date release of
either ppp or FreeBSD?  I know this is an old release, but other than
this problem it mostly "ain't broke, so why fix it"?  If I should
install a later release, which one?

Thanks,
Andre

André Pekelaar <andre@mail.ct.paywise.co.za>   Paywise Software Products, CC
Manager, Development Department                PO Box 24, Plumstead, 7801
Tel: +27-21-7628720    Fax: +27-21-7628726     Cape Town