Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:50:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> For argument's sake; Even though FreeBSD is better
> than
> AIX (much better), and also free, why do corporates
> and
> goverment agencies tend to choose IBM and Sun based
> products more than FreeBSD.

generally, this is because of VAR support, and the support contracts. the
real issue with FreeBSD in that kind of use is the lack of accountability
(who can they, the government agency, blame if something goes wrong with
the OS? who can they turn to if it breaks in a new, and novel way?). this
alone seems to be the issue. there were a few exceptions to this rule (for
example: LBL/LLNLs use of Linux and BSD) but they really are the
exception.

this has even held true for a while with BSD/OS, where it was chosen over
the technologically superior FreeBSD in a few installations i know of.
just because of the support contract.

> In Brief. The point is, forgive my bluntness, but
> porting JFS to FreeBSD, might give companies with
> Terabytes of information on these file system to
> switch to FreeBSD for mission-critical purposes,
> even when they know that JFS is under the influence
> of the GPL License.

the issue really isn't being able to move those terabytes of data. i think
the issue is more complex than this.

on teh same note, just because freebsd would have JFS support, does not
mean that we'll gain more of a following. JFS won't make migration from
AIX or any other OS faster or easier. migration is *never* as easy as you
expect it to be.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche