Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:16:37 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ACPI and cooling fan on Toshiba Satellite

Hello,

My laptop is getting very, very hot.

Until a week or so ago, I was running a Toshiba Satellite 2800-S201 on
-current without ACPI, activating the cooling fan via the fan.c
program you find scattered about the Net.

As of a week or so ago, fan.c panics the machine.  I don't have a
traceback -- this box has no serial console, and I thought it would be
time to join everyone else up in ACPI-land.

Judging from the mailing list archives, I should set

sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1

to manually force the fan.  The fan never starts.  This sysctl starts
at -1.

Is there anything I can do to debug this problem, or to provide info
for someone else to debug this problem?

Thanks,
==ml

--