Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:49:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Any ISDN-BRI cards work under FreeBSD?

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
>>> In Germany and other parts of Europe, the Teles S0 and compatible
>>> boards are supported.  They *should* work in the US
>
> They will not work in the US, simply because in Europe the NT is supplied
> by the Telecom's whereas in the US the NT has to be supplied by the user
> or by the device; the "user" interface in Europe is the S0 bus, in the
> US it is the Uk0 interface. A Teles bought in Europe has a S0 interface.

This doesn't mean they won't work.  This means that you need an NT.
You need an NT here too, but as you say, in Germany it's supplied by
the PTT.

> There is a chance to get a Teles working in the US by also carrying an
> NT for every card with you,

I wouldn't have thought that bringing a German NT would be the way to
go.  To the best of my knowledge, NTs are available in the US too.
Not every device has an integrated NT: it's not economical if you have
multiple devices.  And of course, if you intend to install more than
one Teles board on a single line, you only need one NT, so you don't
necessarily need one NT for eevery Teles board.

> but i doubt this setup will work because of timing differences in
> the US.

By "this setup", do you mean using a German NT?  In any case, what
timing differences do you mean?

Greg