Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 15:18:55 -0600
From:      Darren Crotchett <darren@crotchett.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating

I'm having trouble updating my src.  I have the 2nd CD.  Can I just untar
each tarball into their respective directory?  Or, somehow take advantage of
the CVSROOT, ports or src tarballs?

Here's a little history regarding the specific problems and the events
leading up to them.

I ugraded, using the CD, from 4.3 to 4.4-RELEASE.  The only oddity that I
encountered was the warning that I'd need to use CVS or something to update
my src's.

So, after the upgrade had completed, I did some reading on how to update via
cvs.  A tutorial described setting the CVSROOT variable.  I set mine to
/usr/src.  Then, it said to run cvsinit.  I don't have such a file.  So, I
thought that /usr/ports/dev/cvsutils might have it.  So, I tried to do a make
in that directory.  But, it craps out saying:

*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/automake.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/cvsutils.

That's pretty much all of the info I think of that might be
helpful.

TIA,
Darren