Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:10:52 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote printer access

Karl Denninger wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 10:33:38PM -0500, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I hope this is not off topic, if it is, please excuse me and if kindly
> > point me to the correct list, thanks.

In general, questions is a good place for questions like this.  The
-net list is supposed to be for discussing the design and implementation
of networking in FreeBSD.  You were close, so we won't throw you out
on your virtual ear.  ;^)

> > Is there a generally accepted method for accessing remote printers with
> > FreeBSD?  I have to servers located in different states and I need to print
> > to a printer located on one server from the other server.  Both are
> > connected the Internet via dedicated ISDN.  I'm running FreeBSD-3.x on both.
>
> Uh, lpd? :-)

Yeah.

In particular, see the "sample remote printer" entry in your
/etc/printcap file.  A good book on UNIX system adminstration will
probably help, too.  I recommend the O'Reilly book, but I understand
the Nemeth & Seebass et al book is very good, too.