Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:13:31 -0700
From:      Eric Hake <eric@clean.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATd questions

I originally wanted to write privately so I wouldn't sound like an idiot in
a public forum, but oh well :)

Here's the deal -- I am wrestling with my upstream provider over an address
plan I sent in -- it seems that they feel my request is too large -- I am
wiring 90 offices now and up to 180 - 190 by the end of the year...

They want me to consider NAT, and had no idea that FreeBSD had natd
capability -- I sent him the URL of the man page, and he said "hey!  I
didn't know the free BSD community had come so far!"...

At any rate -- I have checked a few of my O'Reilly books, and they say that
nat has it's advantages and disadvantages as well... ("Managing IP Networks
with Cisco Routers", pages 237-239) -- most notably a speed hit.

Here's how they want me to use it --   Router->NAT Address Pool->NAT
box->Private IP space...

I am wondering if the nat dameon in FreeBSD is as capable as some
commercial solutions my upstream is favoring?  Will it be more trouble than
it's worth?  Will it crap out on me with my network?  How reliable is it?

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd

I have these and a few other questions, but again, I didn't want to sound
like a dwaddle, but it's too late for that now... :)

Eric