Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 03:48:47 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Ben Black <black@layer8.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC164SX conversion to SRM?

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Mike Smith writes:
>  > > I got no response when asking this before, so I'll add in a bit more dat
>  > > and see if anyone can help out.
>  > >
>  > > Having failed completely to update the firmware through the AlphaBIOS GU
    I,
>  > > I switched to the fail-safe boot.  The output is as follows:
>  >
>  > You can't do it any other way.  You need to find one of the old-style
>  > "fwupdate.exe" files (the large ones) and an SRM ROM image that will
>  > both fit on a floppy.
>  >

> Hint: you can get the srm image at
> ftp://ftp.decsy.ru/alpha/FirmWare/164SX/SRM-T4.9/sx164srm.rom
>
> Try to find a later fwupdate.exe  (the one at that site gave us
> problems when attempting to update the 164sx at USENIX).  I've left
> the one we used at USENIX at
> http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/fwupdate.exe

I'm rather confused about the whole thing.  Is this for initial bootstrap
to SRM?  Or is this required for everything?

What are the V5.4 sx164_5_4.sys and sx164_5_4.exe and fwupdate.exe in
the alphapc164sx directory on ftp.digital.com then?  They are 900K+ each.
Or do you use the new fwupdate.exe *and* the old sx164srm.rom file for
initial bootstrap?

Cheers,
-Peter