Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 04:54:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:
> > It sure is misleading. Why is it called -stable then? You would expect
> > to stand up to its name.
> Cf. Humpty Dumpty, I'm afraid.  -STABLE doesn't mean stable at all.

Please don't start this adolescant flamefest again.  Any newbie who reads
the handbook should understand the meaning of "stable".  (It's all spelled
out in black and white.)  Any non-newbie who's actually been involved with
software products should understand the typical use of a -STABLE branch.

I'm not sure if the earlier post claiming -stable use since '94 or so is
accurate, but if it is, as another pointed out, you should have seen
similar periods in -STABLE before now and been better prepared to
avoid these types of situations.  Anything but -RELEASE is a development
branch, that's typically how software projects go.