Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:53:25 +0200
From:      Nikola =?utf-8?B?UGF2bG92acSH?= <nzp@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:56:09PM +0200, Christian Walther wrote:
> 2011/3/29 Nikola Pavlović <nzp@riseup.net>:
> > As far as eye candy goes, I assure you KDE Plasma bells and whistles
> > (compositing etc.) work just fine even on a 9 year old Pentium 4 w/ 1GB
> > RAM and an NVidia GeForce 6200.  I'm actually amazed how well it works,
> > it's faster than XFCE on Slackware was...  Weird stuff. O.o (I'm not
> > really implying anything, just noticing something I didn't expect.)
>
> Nice. :)
> Maybe it's time to give KDE4 another try.

I haven't used KDE in years, but a few months ago I switched to FreeBSD
on my desktop and since there's nothing but KDE and Gnome on the
installation DVD, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything if I tried KDE (I
really don't like Gnome :).  And whaddya know, I ended up liking it, it
feels comfortable.  I'm certainly not a fan of the whole Akonadi,
Nepomuk, Telepathy, etc. hysteria, but as long as I don't need to run
and use it I'm happy to ignore it and just use features I need/want.

> Its' graphics performance
> seems be to have been improved with Release 4.2 anyway (at least I've
> been told), and my last test was with an early 4.0 release. My wifes'
> laptop is on Linux for some time now, and I already noticed that
> nspluginwrapper + flash plugin are stable even after updates.

My experience with Flash on FreeBSD has so far been just fine.  Sure, it
crashes and coredumps often, but when it does I just reload the page
and/or "pkill npviewer" and everything's fine.  In fact, I had more
trouble with it on Linux: after watching a lot of videos or after
leaving a page w/ a video loaded for a few hours it would stop working
and Firefox would have to be restarted (at least that's the only
solution I found).

That said, I really go out of my way to avoid Flash, and when I need it
for watching videos I tend to use tools that stream flv through Mplayer,
for example multimedia/youtube-viewer, and others have mentioned
multimedia/minitube, multimedia/cclive and multimedia/quvi.  In fact I
prefer that method to playing it in a browser, but I'm the kind of
person who thinks www/surfraw is better than doing a search in a browser
directly. ;)

--
An authority is a person who can tell you more about something than you
really care to know.