Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:25:32 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        ricardo.m.jesus@criticalsoftware.com
Cc:        new_guy <byte8bits@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.rd for FreeBSD install'

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:19:57PM +0000, Ricardo Jesus wrote:

> new_guy wrote:
> >You misunderstand. I want to install FreeBSD from a ramdisk image (bsd.rd).
> >Is that possible? It's basically a small kernel that boots the machine,
> >formats the hard drive, setups root and installs the operating system over
> >ftp.
> >
> If that's what you want I definitely misunderstood. Maybe someone of the
> list can give a hand and help you out.

Wel, that is what a fixit image is - a boot to a ramdisk image.
They call it md  (memory disk)  in FreeBSD land.  Check man pages
and some more stuff online at various sources.

The only problem is that I don't know if the fixit includes sysinstall.
You could try it.     I would guess that the install image is build in
memory too and runs from there rather than from the CD.  So, it should
be possible with some tinkering - if you have enough memory to run a
sysinstall completely from memory.   You would then pretty much need
to do an install over the net - which you would probably do anyway.

So, your big problem, if that works, is figuring out how to create that
image booted in to the memory disk without some external media to
start it with.

////jerry