Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 10:25:00 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        licia@o-o.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it ok to use the FreeBSD name in a cyberpunkish

At 06:58 15-05-1999 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Ian M. Banks and William Gibson both delay definition of terms until
>well after they have been mentioned (thrid or fourth mention is in a
>context where an explanation is necessary to an outsider, usually by
>a minor character to a secondary character).  I believe that Jeff Noon
>(Vurt, Pollen) uses similar techniques, as did Roger Zelazny.

Yes, as long as they do explain it. It does not have to be explained
immediately. Postponing the explanation slightly adds suspense and keeps
the reader reading.

Heck, it may be postponed even considerably, but then the writer needs to
assure the reader that the explanation will come eventually, and it has to
come on time.

This is what they did in the movie Matrix when the leader said that no one
could explain what the Matrix was because it needed to be experienced. That
was a binding contract with the viewer: You *will* learn what the Matrix is
if you keep watching. And I'd say anyone who has seen the movie not only
learned what the Matrix was, but will also never forget it. :-) The story
was written very well.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?