Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 08:50:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      gnat@frii.com
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libraries

Satoshi Asami writes:
> The library names with version numbers are those that have proven in
> the past to upgrade without preserving backwards compatibility.

I figured that's what it was.

> Usually that is solved by bumping the major shlib number, but we can't
> do that for libraries that are used by dozens of other ports.  Because
> the way FreeBSD shared libraries work, it is not possible to smoothly
> transition from one version to another without changing the "base"
> name (as you see in libtiff or libtcl).

Urk.  What algorithm, then, should autoconf use to (a) find the
j. random name of the library, (b) that library's include files, and
(c) whether the library+include files are compatible with how it
works?  (c) is obviously "compile and run a test program" but what
about (a) and (b)?

It seems to me that FreeBSD's shared library system must be
ill-designed if (a) and (b) are as difficult as it seems.

Thanks,

Nat