Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:45:41 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        harsha godavari <h.godavari@shaw.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Floppy installation

In the last episode (Jul 07), harsha godavari said:
> I would like to install FreeBSD on some 386/486 machines we have
> around and pass them on to some seniors.They are mostly interested in
> Emailing grand-children, a little bit of surfing and the odd
> Solitaire :-)
>
> My problem is(apart from my being a DOS person), these computers do
> not have CDRom drives and cannot boot from CDR drives. So whatever
> software is required, needs to loaded from floppies.
>
> Is there a complete guide to floppy-installation and what files do I
> download (from where :-) ) Thanks for your help.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html

The boot floppy images are available at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE , in the
floppies directory.  If you have ethernet cards, it'll probably be
easier to boot from floppy but do a network install.  Otherwise you'll
have to follow the instructions in the handbook section 2.13 (Preparing
Your Own Installation Media), for copying the install files to floppy.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com