Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:14:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.5 to current fails

In message: <20020424192740.A19539@xor.obsecurity.org>
            Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
: On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:58:42PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20020424162052.A14802@xor.obsecurity.org>
: >             Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
: > : On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:49:52PM +0200, Christian Fl=FCgel wrot=
e:
: > : =

: > : > But I still get signal 12 exceptions when trying to installworl=
d.
: > : > It seems to me that the install process still uses my old kerne=
l and I am
: > : > not able to load the new one. Could anybody please tell me how =
to achieve
: > : > this?
: > : =

: > : You're still actually running your 4.x kernel.  This may be an
: > : omission in the documentation for upgrading to 5.0: you need to
: > : install the new /boot/defaults/ files so that the boot loader wil=
: > : automatically pick up the changed default location of the 5.0 ker=
nel.
: > =

: > Are you sure you need to do that by hand?  When I upgraded my lapto=
p I
: > didn't need to do that.
: =

: Does installkernel do this already?  Otherwise I can't see how the
: updated loader.conf gets into /boot/defaults by this point in the
: instructions.

No.  But installworld does in sys/boot/${ARCH}/Makefile seems to do
so.

Warner