Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:46:46 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Mike Larsen <criticar@execpc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Installation Problems

I had this prob. Here's bits from how I do it when I dial manually (like
you have to do when you do an install).

default:
 set speed 115200
 set device /dev/cuaa1 (for com2, /dev/cuaa0 for com1)(but i see you're
using com3, you must have this bit worked out or else you wouldn't have
got as far as you did)
 set parity none
 set timeout 1200
 accept pap	(if your isp uses chap instead of pap then)
 disable chap	(swap these around			)
 set authname username
 set authkey password
 set ifaddr 0 0
then type term to drop into term mode and dial your number etc.

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Mike Larsen wrote:

> I have downloaded boot.flp twice in the past ten days but in both cases
> was unable to install over a PPP / FTP connection.  I dial into my ISP
> PPP account through the install term, login and get a PPP started text
> message.  Sometimes, term says "packet mode".

when it says packet mode that's when it's switching to ppp
>It seems as if the
> connection is dropped within 5-10 secs (click) but even if I initiate

when this happened to me it was becuase i hadn't used the set authname and
authkey commands so I failed to log in when it switched to ppp

> the transfer immediately, I get errors.  Sometimes, it says "logging
> into ftp@ftp.freebsd.org" for some time (300 secs?) and then says
> "unable to login to ftp.freebsd.org".  Other times, it jumps right to
> "unable to login".  P5-100 Intel motherboard, Sportster 28.8K internal
> modem on com3.  Any idea what it going wrong?

> Thanks,
>
> Mike Larsen

hope this helps
Andrew Perry