Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:48:21 -0800
From:      David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> it will not even boot if there is only a single slice with root and the r=
est on it if the background fsck cannot be run.

> I have to go to real remote locations once in a while where an USP is not=
 of real help anymore as the USP is not able to charge its battery before t=
he next power failure comes. It happened there some times that the /usr sli=
ce needs a foreground check. Of course, all can be fixed.

> I cannot imagine that this would still work if / is on the same slice as =
the rest of the data.

Why not?  / gets mounted read-only, foreground fsck is run on /, system boo=
ts...

Maybe I'm just not understanding the problem here.  I suppose in
theory your root filesystem could be so corrupt that it won't even
mount read-only, but I've never actually seen that happen except in
the case of an outright disk failure.