Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:19:47 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux-base 6.2 vs  linux-base 7

Bruce Burden wrote:

>         I think Netscape 4 is compiled with the Linux 6 libraries.
>     I installed Linux base 7 on a clean system, and Netscape install
>     went out and tried to install Linux base 6. It could not find a
>     particular library, which was there, just under a different name.
>     Linux 7 has a bad habit of naming everything *.2.2.2.*, I noticed.
>
>         I couldn't find the "libstd++", I believe it was, that Netscape
>     complained about on startup, and I didn't wnat to dig through
>     meaningless RPM's to find _the_ library, so I finally wiped Linux
>     base 7 and installed Linux base 6.

You can fix this as follows.  Start netscape - see that it has an error
message about not finding
libstd++xxxx
where xxxx is something.  Look in /compat/linux/usr/lib.  There you see
libstd++yyyy
So do
ln -s libstd++yyyy libstd++xxxx
and netscape should work.

Also, make sure you run a very recent version of FreeBSD stable - there
is a problem in linux emulation in older versions.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu