Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 11:04:11 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        shin@kame.net
Subject:   Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?

>It's only available for 2.2.7, and therefor Jordan pointed out,
>that this is a real disadvantage for 3.0, which is the future...

	We are doing KAME on 3.0.  Shin (cc'ed) has more to say about this.
	Basically, the last item left is TCP integration to IPv6.  There
	has been big changes in netinet tree between 2.2.x to 3.0 so we
	have to modify from scratch.

>But from the Webserver:
>We have chosen 2.2.x-RELEASE because:
>- it is excellent for daily use.
>- well-maintained "ports" tree helps us modify applications to support IPv6.
>- and 3.0-current is too hard to track if we maintain cvs repository
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  separately.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^
>What does that mean ? And if not ?? If they would / could commit their
>developement to the -current tree and merge stable stuff to RELENG_2_2 ?!

	The above means:
	- we can't keep track of all 3.0-current changes during our
	  developement.  we have separate repository for all of our work.
	  it is too much work to do and we need a something like RELEASE
	  snapshot.
	- there has been no RELEASE in 3.0 for us to start with.

	Now we have 3.0-RELEASE and we are doing KAME on 3.0-RELEASE.

	When the merge to FreeBSD repository happens, we may have to maintain
	two repositories (at FreeBSD and at KAME).  To decrease repository
	maintainance cost, we may have to do either of the following:
	- all KAME guys must become committer, use FreeBSD repository for
	  all KAME/FreeBSD 3.0 developments
	- KAME guys should copy changes back and forth every day
	- KAME guys will import and merge in new KAME into 3.0 repository,
	  every time KAME makes a new bi-monthly snapshot.  Important
	  fixes/changes are synced right away.
	There are too many volatile things in IPv6 and IPsec, and I think
	the last item is the most workable solution.

itojun