Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:01:20 -0400
From:      John Fitzgerald <jjfitzgerald@gmail.com>
To:        "ray@redshift.com" <ray@redshift.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf stopped working on 5.3

Hi Ray,

Here's a cleaned up version of ipf.rules:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# block nasty packets
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
block in log quick all with short
block in log quick all with opt lsrr
block in log quick all with opt ssrr

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# loopback packets left alone
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pass in log quick on lo0 all
pass out log quick on lo0 all

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 100 incoming bge0
# 150 outgoing bge0
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
block in log on bge0 all head 10
block in log on bge0 all head 100
block out log on bge0 all head 150

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# allow all traffic to 80 and 443
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pass in log quick proto tcp from any to any port =3D 80 flags S/SA keep sta=
te
pass in log quick proto tcp from any to any port =3D 443 flags S/SA keep st=
ate

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# allow only traffic from known hosts to localhost:ssh
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pass in log quick proto tcp from MY_FIRST_HOST to any port =3D 22 flags S/S=
keep state
pass in log quick proto tcp from MY_SECOND_HOST to any port =3D 22 flags S/=
SA
keep state

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# allow outgoing keystrokes and syslog to logger
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pass out log quick proto udp from any to MY_LOGGER port =3D 514 group 150

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# block all other outgoing traffic
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
block out log quick from any to any group 100

# block all
block in log quick on bge0 all

The group 10 is for my script to block ip's on the fly. I think someone fro=
the FreeBSD Diary wrote a script that I use when attacks come in. I suppose
I could use 100 for that, but I just used 10 to separate and I think that's
what the example used. Probably not the best ipf.rules but it (seemed) to
work.

JJ