Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:01:30 -0500
From:      "Mark Litchfield" <litchfieldm@bgcc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   System recovery

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to Unix. I know enough to be dangerous. I recently
installed FreeBSD 3.2 and was setting up a web server. I managed to get the
IP Aliases and everything to work and it was running like a champ. I let it
go at that over the recent weekend. When I went to log in on Monday, I
couldn't get any of the web pages. So I checked the IP settings and the
httpd.conf. I tried to restarting Apache. I had also added the IP's to the
rc.conf file before the weekend. When I noticed that the IP's weren't
showing up. I rebooted from the prompt and the system restarted. Then a
funny thing happened. It went along fine with the reboot then I got an error
message... ".:Out of file descriptors." The next line asked me for the path
to a shell application or press Enter for /bin/sh. I am re-installing the OS
now.
    What I am curious about is, Is there a way to recover from that error
without re-installing and without restoring a backup? Is there anything I
can do to help prevent this from happening again?
    I looked all through my " The Complete FreeBSD" book and it doesn't
discuss a whole lot of error prevention or crash prevention. I love the OS
and I am hooked on Linux as well. I chose to run FreeBSD as a web server and
Linux as a Firewall. The two work well together and I wouldn't have it any
other way. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Mark Litchfield