Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 11:38:57 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Linux? (fwd)

>On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:
>
>> May I suggest that a small team get together to hash out whatever it
>> takes to get the "Internet Out Of The Box " edition of FreeBSD out
>> the door?
>>
>> Lets see apache compiles pretty much out of the box. We have a nice
>> installation package facility which can make the job of installing
>> apache a lot easier .
>>
>> We could mention that Netscape's BSDI server works with FreeBSD .
>
>Given that Netscape's financial future depends on their server, perhaps
>we could arrange something more agressive than that. We've got someone
>here (Rod?) who sells boxes with FreeBSD installed - he could sell
>Netscape Commerce Server Ready To Go boxes just as easily. I'm sure
>Netscape points people at Sun dealers if they want to get a ready-to-run
>box with the Sun logo on it, they can point to FreeBSD vendors just as
>easily.

There's a market thats 20 times the size of the internet server market for
ISPs, and thats the market they sell private lines to, the corporate router
market. We'll be marketing a product  based on FreeBSD which combines the
router/Web Server/Name server function as a base system with 1 Ethernet and
1 WAN interface capable of 56k to T1 and Frame Relay. Its easy to market
initially...you try to get ISPs to sell it to their customers instead of
selling them Ciscos. The selling point is 3 times the horsepower of a Cisco
2501 (with a DX2-80 and Serial Line Co-proc) and future expandability for
less money. Even if you can't make a tremendous amount on the system itself
(you should be able to make a few hundred depending on how much you throw
the ISP), there should be decent setup/consulting/ongoing support revenue.
We'll make complete OEM (ready-to-tune) boxes available (we already have a
supplier and prototypes), or discounted WAN cards and CSU/DSUs if you want
to roll your own. We'll be doing press releases next month and starting a
moderate magazine advertising campaign in the 4th Qtr.

dennis