Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 13:38:40 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting linux netscape binary to work?

On Dec 6,  2:49, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
} Subject: Getting linux netscape binary to work?
} Someone (Soren?) posted something recently about how to make the Linux
} version of netscape work properly with the 2.1 Linux emulator.  Could
} you refresh my memory?  I searched the mailing list archives but could
} only find Brian's question and Eric's answer (which consisted of
} moving /etc/host.conf out of the way - not really the answer I was
} looking for :-).

export RESOLV_HOST_CONF=/compat/linux/etc/host.conf

But please read on ... :)

I had replied several times before to this question
(and as early as one month ago):

The resolver library in linux is based on "resolv+",
which was developed for SunOS originally, when Sun
only delivered YP as a means of finding IP addresses.

This resolver library uses a slightly different format
of /etc/host.conf, but it could easily become another
supported (and in fcat the preferred, IMHO) format of
host.conf in FreeBSD, too.

You can use the "RESOLV_HOST_CONF" environment variable
to make "resolv+" use a different configuration file
(and as long as the one in FreeBSD is incompatible, it
might be a good idea to have RESOLV_HOST_CONF be set
to "/compat/linux/etc/host.conf").

The long term fix should (IMHO) be to either make the
FreeBSD resolver understand a host.conf file of

order	hosts bind nis

or integrate the full resolv+ functionality (which is
controlled by the "trim","multi","nospoof" and "alert"
host.conf option lines).

BTW: My version of the sources of resolv+-2.1 states
that it is a patched version of the BIND 4.8.3 resolver
library, and mentions John DiMarco, Patrick Gosling,
Chris Metcalf and J. Porter Clark as contributors.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160