Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:42:28 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbfs small read tuning?

--nextPart39013989.lFloWWKFXg

I have an application that makes hundreds of thousands of small read()s (a=
=20
few hundred bytes each time).  If I run it directly on files on an smbfs=20
mount, the runtime is on the order of an hour.  If I copy the files to my=20
local hard drive first and then run it, the total copy + run time is on the=
=20
order of four minutes.

The mount_smbfs(8) man page doesn't mention anything about tuning and I'm=20
not sure where else to look.  Is there a way to enable some kind of=20
read-ahead cache or otherwise trade some memory or CPU for a speed boost?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser