Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:39:42 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT again: Re: hexidecimal literacy

[ redirected to -chat before somebody flames both of us :-) ]

On 1/27/01, 9:56:05 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote regarding OT=20
again: Re: hexidecimal literacy:

> Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it> types:

<yet more nit-picking :-)>
In the field (meant as a technical term of Algebra) of real numbers R,=20
"0" is the neutral element of the "+" (or "sum") operation. However, 0=20
has no inverse with respect to "*" (or "multiplication"). Also, 0=20
raised to a positive integer is defined (and equals zero), but 0=20
raised to 0 has, in a strictly algebraic sense, NO meaning. Therefore,=20
you canNOT generate integers; 0 cannot be a base. =20

<aside>
In Mathematical Analysis, or Calculus, "0 raised to 0" (ie something=20
tending to 0 raised to something else tending to 0) is an=20
indeterminate form (just express it in terms of exp and you see why),=20
with a well-defined meaning.
</aside>=20

"1"  -- a very important mumber since... Plato :-)) -- is the neutral=20
element for the "*" operation. Hence 1 raised to any (relative)=20
integer equals one, and canNOT be used to represent integers (ie N,=20
whence NxN=3DZ, whence Z*Z'=3DQ, whence its "adherence" -- in a=20
topological sense -- R, whence RxR=3DC).=20

Incidentally, 1 raised to any real number can be defined (cf the=20
construction of continuous homomorhisms mapping R to R+, viz the=20
exponential functions).   =20

Oooooops. I was implicitly thinking in too an abstract mathematical=20
way when I wrote my first reply :-)

> > <nit-picking mode>
> > 1) a positional notation making use of negative bases looks very
> > awkward/impractical (you would have to utilize negative coefficients=
);
> > OTOH, when working with such a positional notation, you are supposed=

> > to be working on N (ie the set of the "natural" numbers, or positive=

> > integers); and to add to all this, there are a number of approaches =
> > the "construction" of N itself (Peano's, Cipolla's, the set theory
> > with all its subtle problems... cf Bourbaki[sm])
> >
> > 2) Pi, as "e" ~ 2.71828182..., is <gasp> a **trascendental** irratio=
nal
> > number (!). I let you guess what kind of coefficients you have to us=
> > to generate integers.
> > </nit-picking mode>

> You seem to be focused on generating N. If that's the goal, then using=

> negative (or any base less than 2) or irrational bases is indeed
> problematical. However, that doesn't change the fact that a string in
> some base has a single, fixed value even for negative and
> transcendental bases. As such, they can be safely used to represent
> numbers, and make a perfectly valid base.

Yup (except for 0 and 1). Possible but ackward/impractical. Either you=20
use positive and/or negative coefficients to express a given integer,=20
or transcendental coefficients. This recalls somehow to mind a vector=20
space of dimension 1.

I was also thinking in Bourbakistic terms. Mathematics IS beauty as=20
well as elegance... :-)

Best regards,
Salvo (ok, back to compiling code now :-)