Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:25:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devices under 4.0

On Friday, 18 February 2000 at  0:13:10 -0800, R Joseph Wright wrote:
> Can someone of knowledge please outline how to create the devices for 4.0
> and also how to edit /etc/fstab to correspond?
> For example, I upgraded to 4.0 from 3.2.  4.0, as I understand, uses
> different device names for the ide hard disks than 3.2.
> Yet, although I continue to use the old devices with no problems thus far,
> I am told that the devices should be changed.

4.0 hasn't been released yet.  If you're using -CURRENT,

1.  Subscribe to FreeBSD-current.
2.  Talk about it there, not on -questions.
3.  Be prepared to solve this kind of question yourself.

-CURRENT isn't for people who need hand-holding.

There are a number of issues with 4.0.  The one you're referring to
depends on the driver you use.  If you use wd (not recommended),
nothing changes.  If you use ata, some things change, but they're not
critical.  I'm writing this from a 4.0-CURRENT machine with the ata
driver and with the old device nodes.

Greg