Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:11:07 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Pieter Westland <pieterw@euronet.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hanging tty's

Pieter Westland wrote:

> On a 3.3-RELEASE machine, I have two hanging tty's, ttyv0 and ttyv1.
> The screen is blank, when trying to input something to it, nothing
> happens. watch -W also gives no result.
> A ps axl gives:
>     0 72794     1 255 -14 -4     0    0 ckvnlk D<Es  v0    0:00.00 (login)
>     0 96855     1 255   4 -4   956  360 ttywai I<Es+  v1-   0:00.00 (login)
>
> The states of these processes say something like (ps(1)):
> D	Marks a process in disk (or other short term, uninterruptible) wait.
> I	Marks a process that is idle (sleeping for longer than about 20
> 	seconds).
> +	The process is in the foreground process group of its control
> 	terminal.
> E	The process is trying to exit.
> s	The process is a session leader.
> <	The process has raised CPU scheduling priority.
>
> I tried to do a kill -1 1, to disable these tty's from /etc/ttys , to
> start a  /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv1  manually, but all without result.
>
> Anyone having an idea?

I might be way out, but do those terminals have scroll lock on? I just
tried this, and it seems if you go to ttyv1, press scroll lock, and
kill the getty on that terminal, I got similar information from ps that
you do. (definately had "E" in the status flags and it was blocked in
ttywai.) If this explains either, it is more likely the one blocked
in ttywai, I've got no idea what ckvnlk is (it seems to come from
sys/miscfs/deadfs, but that doesn't mean much to me).

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and