Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:36:42 -0200
From:      "Aldrin Leal" <aldrin@americasnet.com>
To:        "Ian Smith" <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Math Help for IPFW :)

> Sure you can use SNMP also, or instead, but if you want to do it from

    I really haven't tried to find SMNP agents for Win9x, which are the
platform for the computers.

> your gathered IPFW data, why not just use the byte counters rather than
> or as well as the packet counters, per rule?

    How to look at the byte counters? :]

    My source is:

### Cut here
#!/usr/bin/suidperl

$rule = 2500;
if (open(HANDLE, "/sbin/ipfw -q show $rule|")) {
    if ($line = <HANDLE>) {
        chomp $line;
        @values = split(' ', $line);
        $packets = $values[2];
    }
    close(HANDLE);
}

system "/sbin/ipfw -q zero $rule";
print "$packets\n$packets\n00:00\nrule $rule\n";
### Unclip

    The rule is: 02500     108      11320 allow ip from 200.242.253.6 to any

>  > The first problem is that packet size varies greatly -- it could be a
>  > single byte (plus header/address information), or quite large,
depending
>  > on what the interface type/parameters are set for.

    That's where all my problem starts... and ends.

>  > The best solution I found for this is SNMP, which is what most of the
"big
>  > boys" (PSI Net, for example) use.  I do something similar -- sample the
>  > "interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets" and
>  > "interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets" entries for each interface
>  > periodically, and you can calculate the average bandwidth usage per
>  > interface pretty easily:

    Well. I'll try to find an SNMP agent.

    thanks, anyway. :)

    done, Aldrin Leal mailto:aldrin@americasnet.com