Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:58:37 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail waiting?

My silly system ...  Using 4.6 RELEASE, 1.1G Athlon ABit KT7A VIA
chipset - running FVCool permanently in idle mode to maintain CPU cool
temperature.  The really silly bit is ...

I don't switch off every day, but I have noticed that, on restart,
sendmail.  Last night the wait was 2 full minutes, and the effect was
for me not to be able to get X and worse - "getty repeating too fast -
sleeping for 30 seconds"  During that sleep, I could work from the
console normally, but then the screen blanked and fluttered for several
seconds before the sleeping phase was again reimposed.

This morning - not expecting too much - I switched on and this time
normally again.

I do not propose to switch off for some time.   :-)

Q1.  Can anyone suggest any explanation for the sendmail-wait problem
and subsequent horrors?
Q2.  I am cvsupping and ready to update to the latest stable.  Is this
sound, and is it in any way likely to resolve my problem with v 4.6 RELEASE?

Thanks in advance.

--
Brian