Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <jeff@cc602670-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com>
To:        alfred@sol.racsa.co.cr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, iratus@home.com
Subject:   Re: startx??

> Hi everyone!
> I am a new user of FreeBSD, I just install 3.1 from the CDROM.
> After login as root, I want to start XWindow, so I type startx, but I get
> the following message:
> execve failed for /use/X11R6/bin/x (errno2)
> _X11TransSocketUnixConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
> (repeating six times)
> giving up.
> xinit: Nosuch file or directory (erro2): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno3): server error.
> I missed some file to install, (I got the CD from CheapBytes), or did I just
> do any step wrong?
> And I am puzzled by the command in FreeBSD, where can I get to know some
> basic command?
> Really thanks for telling me the answer.
> Alfred
> alfred@sol.racsa.co.cr

Hello Alfred-What the error message is telling you is that you have not
configured the X server-You can do this configuration by going to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and invoking xf86config-You can follow the script
as you go through the configuration routine-I am assuming that you have
installed all of the X files and also have installed a window manager
such as fvwm or any one you like-Also BE CAREFUL!! You will need to
know both horizontal and virtical sync frequencies for you moniter-
You should be able to get these from the manual that came with your
moniter. The hanbook in /usr/share/docs is also an excellant place
to get information on getting up and running X-Hope this will help
and good luck (BTW-In general the man pages and the doc files are
excellant sources of info about X and the system in general)
jeff phillips   iratus@home.com