Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:14:07 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The VIVA file system (fwd)

E-mail message from Stephen Hocking contained:
Anybody have opinions on this vs LFS? Are we still waiting for the Lite-2
stuff, before LFS can go in?

> The package contains a paper on VIVA by its developers, Eric H. Herrin
> II
> and Raphael A. Finkel, and a report on implementing VIVA in Linux by
> Shankar Pasupathy. A brief description of VIVA follows.
>
> The VIVA filesystem was designed to minimize the time taken for file
> operations. VIVA achieves this goal by using an allocation policy that
> clusters sequentially accessed disk blocks so that disk-head movement
> is minimized. VIVA also uses this clustering to compress block addresses
> in an inode from 32 bits to 1 bit,  relative to traditional filesystems.
> This compression allows us to access about 800KB of data without using
> indirect blocks. Benchmark results of our implementation of VIVA in the
> Linux kernel show that it is much faster than Ext2, the default Linux
> filesystem, for common file operations.
>
> The Linux implementation of VIVA is a "work in progress".  It does not
> yet handle partitions larger than 64M (so that the allocation bitmap
> fits readily in memory).  Individual files are limited to about 8M
> (inodes currently have only a single indirect block).  There are no
> fragments; block size is restricted to 1K.  (Adding logical blocks of
> larger size will relieve some of these limitations.)

Sounds sort of like clustering FFS if I'm reading this correctly.  Okay,
with a lessened need for indirect blocks, but with a typical unix file
length distribution, I don't think they gain overmuch.

/Marino