Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:18:58 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Atheros ale problems

Hello.

I'm having problems with 8.0/amd64 with the following card:

ale0@pci0:1:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x83041043 chip=0x10261969
rev=0xb0 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)'
     device     = 'PCI-E ETHERNET CONTROLLER  (AR8121/AR8113 )'
     class      = network
     subclass   = ethernet

This is connected to a 100Mb/s Full Duplex switch with no fancy features.

Sometimes, while connected through ssh to this box, I get kicked out with:
Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.
or:
Disconnecting: Bad packet length 1686869659.

At the same time on the server's log and console, I see:

kernel: ale0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
kernel: ale0: could not disable Tx/Rx MAC(0x00000008)!
kernel: ale0: link state changed to DOWN
kernel: ale0: link state changed to UP

I'm setting up this box, so I can't speak of other
protocols/applications yet.

I saw some threads about this dating back to 2008 and related to EEEPCs,
but this was supposed to be fixed.

Any help?

  bye & Thanks
	av.