Date:      3 Feb 1999 22:21:54 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socializing the use of "BSD" as a term

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9902021916080.28113-100000@s8-37-26.student.washington.edu>,
Jason C. Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I liked the editorial about how "Linux" is just Linux regardless of what
> CD it came from. I wonder what ye all say about starting a socializing
> process by which we all refer to FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDi, and NetBSD as
> just "BSD" except where it is needed to differentiate.

I've been slowly realizing this for the last couple of months. From a
"marketing" perspective, it's a crucial point. It's nice to see that
others have had the same thought and that the idea is spreading.
Personally, I've already made it a habit to just talk about "BSD" unless
further distinction is really required. I'm happy to report that some of
the surrounding Linux people have now pegged me as a "BSD user", rather
than a "mostly FreeBSD, occasionally OpenBSD user".

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>;