Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:50:43 -0800
From:      Reid Findeisen <reidf@gtu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwilson@aquinas.gtu.edu
Subject:   /kernel: file: table is full

Hi,

I occasionally see this error (often then repeated many times) in my system
messages file:

/kernel: file: table is full

How can I fix this?  Will rebuilding my kernel with a higher "maxusers"
(currently set to 10) help this problem?  Should I have "OPEN_MAX" set to
something?  (It is currently not set to anything in my kernel, and
therefore defaulting.)  I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0 (yes, I know that's
ancient.)

Thanks,

Reid

Reid Findeisen              | Benefactor 4.2
System Administrator        | Colleague 13.13 (HR3)
Graduate Theological Union  | UniData 3.3.2
2400 Ridge Road             | HP-UX 9.04
Berkeley, CA  94709         | HP9000 800/G40

Telephone: 510-649-2550
FAX:       510-649-1417
email:     reidf@gtu.edu