Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:59:53 -0500
From:      Brian Campbell <bac@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Busmastering code for IDE drives in 2.2.6?

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 08:33:14PM +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> > with the big code merges into 2.2.5-STABLE over the last weeks, I wonder
> > what the chances are that we will also see the IDE busmastering code
> > incorporated into STABLE (and this way 2.2.6 as well). Or would doing so
> > mean such a dramatic change to STABLE that it is held back for the
> > 3.0-RELEASE?
>
> Yes.

That's the easy answer.

It requires two files (/sys/pci/ide_pci.c and /sys/ide_pcireg.h) to be added,
two files (/sys/i386/isa/wd.c /sys/i386/isa/wdreg.h) to be replaced, and
a line to be changed in /sys/i386/conf/files.i386.

I've been running with it in 2.2-x since it was announced and it
works just fine.  Hardly a dramatic change.  However, I've asked
the same question before and met with the same disapproving glare.