Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:23:51 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        james@nexis.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, rdm@cfcl.com
Subject:   Re: first cut of multiple architecture support

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Personally, I think that the main targets should be smart
>  * enough to use defined variables rather than create an extra 10
>  * or 12 targets per OS.
>
> Well, one problem is that OPSYS and ARCH are not defined until you
> read bsd.port.mk.  So you can't really do much in the port Makefile
> (unless you put the targets after the ".include <bsd.port.mk>" line,
> which will open a whole new can of worms).

Well, why not have ARCH & OPSYS defined in /etc/make.conf? Yes, I know, it
is not the first time I suggest adding something to there... But at least
theoretically they could be also used when FreeBSD moves to a non-intel
architecture. One could in that way (at least theoretically) cross-build
ports/packages for another architecure.

	Sander