Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 05:01:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Philipp <pjp@bsd-daemon.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Ports and ftp.win.tue.nl

There is confirmed hearsay the ftp.win.tue.nl ftp site was compromised
with backdoors on different packages.  Also it seems that the
/pub/security archive was removed as stated in the README found at that
site.

There is 3 ports I found at first glance that use this site which is not a
real security hazard if MD5 checksums mismatch but it is possible that
someone uses the NO_CHECKSUM and if those packages were compromised (one
of which was as stated in a CERT and BUGTRAQ advisory) that this could
lead to unforeseen problems.

The ports containing the ftp.win.tue.nl site as a master or secondary site
are (no later than 2.2.8-REL ports distribution):

/usr/ports/print/mp-letter
/usr/ports/security/crack
/usr/ports/security/tcp_wrapper

I think it's fair to warn anyone that caution should be taken with at
least the first port mentioned if it hasn't already been removed.  I did
not check this port either.

Wietse Venema's README at ftp.win.tue.nl below:

<cut>

                                Wietse's archive has moved

<cut>

Peter Philipp (PP2441)
Daemonic Networks
"In theory, theory is the same as practice, but not in practice" - ???