Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:41:34 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lisp vs. Forth (was Re: New boot loader and alternate kernels )

> About 75k according to:
>
>  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/imp/siod.html
>
> Anyone want to cut it "down to size" and see?

I don't think you'd gain that much.  Sure, you could snip out the Unix
programmer's functions and maybe some of the math stuff but then you'd
have to add back in some sort of I/O system for talking to the
keyboard, disk, and perhaps even various serial devices and that would
rapidly bloat things back up.  Forth, on the other hand, has the
benefit of an I/O model so simplistic that it's (by design) not very
hard to just plug it straight into the relevant hardware.  I worked on
a fig-forth system for the pc532 boot rom and talking straight to SCSI
devices and the serial ports from that system was a hell of a lot
easier than any 10 other solutions I might be able to think up.

> What's the feeling on the lisp vs. Forth argument?

lisp is cool, but I think perhaps a bit too weighty for a boot system
which is really only looking at the extention language as a way of
getting highly custom/conditional behavior for an incredibly small
number of applications which need it.  Most users, I suspect, will
never even see a need to get much beyond the "boot" command. :-)

Lisp would be something I'd go more out of my way to implement if I
felt that people would be writing short scripts in it frequently, ala
the GIMP and its filter plug-ins or GNU emacs or, for that matter, a
game called Abuse.  If you gotta write a fair amount of code, give me
lisp any day.  If it's half a page of infrequent customization or
testing work, forth is equally godly.  I'd put this particular task
more in the latter category.

- Jordan