Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:15:41 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, nate@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Update to docs (1.1), and some Q&A

Hi Dylan,

> Let me know what your thoughts are on the thread I am having with Calvin
> Varney about Java port install locations.

Will do... (don't have time right now) The javadocs should indeed go below
${PREFIX}/share/doc, that's for sure. The symlink should then be the
otherway around.

> Not sure myself. I took this from Nate's original notes in pkg-descr.
> But I have removed it.

Nate ?

> > 4) 2.1.3 The 1.1.8 JDK is a FreeBSD JDK, not a Sun JDK.
>
> %pkg_info |grep jdk-1.1.8
> jdk-1.1.8           Sun's Java Developers Kit
>
> It's also got a Sun license in the install directory...

$ cat ~/freebsd/ports/java/jdk11/pkg-comment
Java Development Kit 1.1

These JDK names were unified recently, see:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/java/jdk11/pkg-comment.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.3

Ofcourse it's based on the Sun source code, but the patches were done by
Nate et al.

> > 8) We should use one naming convention for JDK ports. At the moment the
> > convention is:
> >
> >    JDK 1.1.8 for FreeBSD
> >    Sun JDK 1.2.2 for Linux
> >    Blackdown JDK 1.4.1 for Linux
> >
> > I know, however, that you prefer J2SDK or Java SDK over JDK. So what
> > would you suggest using as names? Perhaps J2SDK or Java 2 SE SDK or
> > J2SE SDK? A bit longish :-\
>
> Sun's convention follows (from 1.2.x-1.4.x) "J2SE SDK".   On 1.1.x it is
> "JDK".  Blackdown it's all "JDK".   My only effort is to make the
> vocabulary consist with Sun's, even if it is retarded.
>
> I have been using "SDK" but I will update to say J2SE SDK throughout to
> be clear about it.  I'm not suggesting changing the port names.

Only issue that remains then is that we have a conflict between the port
names and the names mentioned in this document... I will give this some
more thought. Perhaps I should just sweep through the pkg-comment files
again. :-\

Your work is very much appreciated and I must say that I *really* like your
approach. The documentation seems quite complete and useful already!!!!

Kind regards,

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ