Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:10:16 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting started with freebsd-arm on Cubox-i2

On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 19:30 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> Ian:
>
> Thank you! Interestingly, when I plugged in a USB cable from a
> Windows computer, it recognized the USB serial port (which means
> that the USB-serial chip was getting power) but did not seem to be
> powering the CuBox. But when I connected a separate 5V power
> supply, I got a bootstrap and was able to log in as root with
> PuTTY, using the password "root".
>
> About half of the applications I will have for these boards will
> not require video support, and so I may want to do builds that are
> serial-only. On the CuBox-i2 which I have here, top(8) reports
>
> Mem: 11M Active, 10M Inact, 19M Wired, 4081K Buf, 956M Free
>
> which accounts for only 1000M of the 1024M -- suggesting that the
> remaining 24M are reserved for video. Or are they? On this chipset,
> is it possible to recover the video buffer RAM for general use in a
> "headless" system?

Yeah, you can't power it via the usb, the system needs more power than
that, especially when graphics is enabled.

Since there are no video drivers in the image you're running, there's
no memory wasted on a framebuffer.  The remaining memory is the kernel
itself and page tables and other things that aren't accounted for by
the vm system, which is where the numbers in top come from.

-- Ian