Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2014 08:20:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND chroot environment in 10-RELEASE...gone?

> > > It was a deliberate decision made by the maintainer. He said the chroot
> > > code in the installation was too complicated and would be removed as a
> > > part of the installation clean-up to get all BIND related files out of
> > > /usr and /etc. I protested at the time as did someone else, but the
> > > maintainer did not respond. I thnk this was a really, really bad
> > > decision.
> > >
> > > I searched a bit for the thread on removing BIND leftovers, but have
> > > failed to find it.
> > >

> > You're probably thinking about my November 17 posting:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-November/075895.html
> >
> > I'm glad to see others finally speaking up; I was beginning to think I was
> > the only one who thought this was not a good idea.  I'm a bit surprised
> > that no one has responded yet.
>
> I agree with the protesters here. Removing chroot and symlinking logic
> in the ports is a significant disservice to FreeBSD users, and will
> make it harder to use BIND in a sensible way. A net disincentive to
> use FreeBSD :-(

I have now installed my first 10.1 based name server. I had to spend
some hours to recreate the changeroot environment that I had so easily
available in FreeBSD up to 9.x.

<rant>
Removing the changeroot environment and symlinking logic is a net
disservice to the FreeBSD community, and disincentive to use FreeBSD.
</rant>