Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:37:18 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

At 1:01 PM +0200 1/31/02, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I'd like to propose the addition of a global src tree serial number
>that uniquely identifies an imaginary snapshot of the src tree.
>
>Essentially, the serial number lives in a file, the name of which is
>not important until I have buy-in on the concept.  Let's call it
>src/SERIAL for now.
>
>Every time a delta is applied to a branch, the serial number in
>src/SERIAL is automatically incremented through a "stealth commit" on
>that branch.  This ensures that, if the src tree is checked out in its
>entirety and left unmodified, this serial number identifies the state
>of the entire tree.
>
>In addition, the serial number will be included in the commonly
>requested output of 'uname -a' through modifications ot newvers.sh.

I like the idea, although I can see that it might be a little tricky
to figure out a good implementation.

As to the serial number itself, let me suggest:
    <4-digit year><1-letter for month>-<branch>-<incrementing counter>

eg:
    2002A-4.5R-0001

For the first serial number added to branch 4.4-release in Jan 2002.
('A' for Janary, ..., 'C' for December).

However, I'm fine with any other serial number scheme that someone
comes up with.  Mainly I think there should be some indication of
time, but not a pure timestamp, and some indication of the branch.
I also wouldn't want to end up with a 40-character serial number that
is so cleverly encoded that you'd need a program to figure out what
it's saying...

I decided to make a suggestion for the serial number, because I can't
think of a particularly good solution to all the technical issues...  :-)