Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 01:21:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rock@cs.uni-sb.de (D. Rock)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What the fsck is going on here (disk space vanishing)?

> Recently, after a kernel panic the system behaves extremely strange:
> Every time I reboot the machine, I *have* to fsck the / device (I
> prefer the one / fits all approach), or any write access will result
> to either "out of inodes" or "no space left on device" errors.
> Each fsck will change the superblock (FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN
> SUPERBLK). df -ki shows up even before the fsck plenty of inodes and
> blocks left. This error only happens on the 1st drive in the system
> (Seagate ST32122A), another one attached doesn't show up this
> symptom. The partition table is OK (dangerous dedicated on both
> drives, LBA mode set in the BIOS; fdisk/BIOS/in core disklabel agree).
> I use flags 0x80ff for both drives (32-bit multiple (16) sector mode).
> shutdown of the system seems to write all dirty blocks ("5 3 2 done")

This is generally attributable to IDE.

To see if your problem is real or imaginary, after fsck'ing the
drive once (while mounted read-only), do it again.

If you get the same thing (i.e., a drive doesn't stay fsck'ed
when it should), then this is your problem.

To resolve this problem, use as short an IDE cable as you possibly can;
IDE is particularly sensitive to electrical interference, and requires
short cables in the standard for this reason.

Since EIDE is just IDE rehashed and given a facelift, this
applies to EIDE as well.

Note that you may actually be doing bad things to your disk contents
with each fsck; it depends on just how noisy things are.  Your best
bet would be to get a shorer cable, back it up *now*, and then after
reinstalling, restore from backup.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---