Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:28:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        drussell@saturn-tech.com (Doug Russell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jflowers@ezo.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

> > > You can BOOT FreeBSD (via NTLDR) off an NTFS parition.  FreeBSD can't read
> > > the NTFS filesystem, of course (yet!), but you can boot.  I don't think
> ..
> > Actually, there is a R/O NTFS module for FreeBSD.  See the list
> > archives.

ok, it is vmount-0.6a something... but the author's web site is
unreachable at the moment. Does someone have a copy of this by chance ?
(this does not solve my problem yet, but it is at least a starting
point).

One more question for those who have some knowledge of NTFS. Just
how complex is to locate say one file in the root directory ?
The idea would be have the boot block (512 bytes) locate and suck in a
predefined file using BIOS calls, so the only problem would be to find
out the parameters to pass to the bios.

At the very extreme, these values could be hardwired into the boot
sector using a program while running in NT itself, and then act at the
next reboot ?

	cheers
	luigi