Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:35:27 +0000
From:      S M <zw_uk@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ZFS - Unable to replace replacing drive

>  What structure is this supposed to be? A stripe of two three-way mirrors=
?
> And you did "zpool replace vault /dev/ad6.eli /dev/da99.eli" ?

Hi Ivan and all=2C

Yes=2C this was meant to be 2x vdevs which are striped=2C each vdev being a=
 3 way mirror.=20

Yes=2C /dev/ad6.eli was a problem drive so I plugged /dev/da99.eli into the=
 LSI controller and=2C as you said=2C ran zpool replace vault /dev/ad6.eli =
/dev/da99.eli. Then that drive failed too (coincidence?) but now I can't ge=
t rid of the replacing drives.

I've tried all manner of combinations of commands to remove them=2C even tr=
ied finding another drive=2C changing device.hints to rename that as da99 (=
which then comes up as FAULTED but the same problem as above happens).=20

Stephen - I had a look at dd'ing the drive to get enough zfs metadata out t=
o trick zpool into accepting the drive and trying to resilver=2C but the pr=
oblem is that the drive is too far gone - when I plug it in=2C it just comp=
letely hangs the LSI controller=2C followed by screenfuls of geli errors an=
d timeout errors. When I plug it into the motherboard controller=2C it does=
n't even detect it properly. I can't even get to a point of being able to r=
un seatools against it=2C so that drive is going to get replaced.

One thing I've noticed is that the zfs implementation doesn't appear to lik=
e using the degraded vdev=3B I thought it tended to favour blank drives to =
even everything out but it seems to be using the full vdev where it can - i=
s that purely because of the degraded vdev? If so is there anything I can d=
o to restore it? I don't have enough drives to back up the pool and remake =
it=2C and that's not a permanent fix anyway.

Cheers

Stu
 		 	   		 =20
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/
Do you have a story that started on Hotmail? Tell us now=