Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:57:26 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, "Luke H." <hendrix@cockatoo.aus.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asbestos suited static vi

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 10:43:27PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Luke H. wrote:
>
> > 	Maybe just have a port/package that installs a static vi to /bin?
> That was my plan.
> A binary packagee, with all the termcap db's etc that we need, and
> possibly a source patch so you could jsut make world par regular and
> you'll have a static vi in /bin.

I'm against misusing the ports collection for "patching" the base os !

Ports live under $(PREFIX), usually /usr/local.

Please don't take that into consideration. Ports != Base OS.
No exception, ok ?!

Another point, if you really need a static vi, why don't you
compile a special version yourself and put it into /sbin
or /usr/sbin ?

Then you don't have to convince the others to built it in as
default !

	Andreas ///

--
B&K Gruppe - Wuppertal                                    <aklemm@hightek.com>