Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:39:28 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On 08/30/02 03:29 PM, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Lawrence Sica wrote:
>>> Glasses keep near-sighted people in the gene pool longer than
>>> they would otherwise be.  Myopia is still an adverse condition.
>>
>> Well thing is this isn't always something you are born with you can develop
>> it and not pass on the trait. [...] Now  this does not mean my son will
>> have eye problems, actually he seems to have really good vision.
>
> Environmental issues are not useful examples in this context,
> whereas genetic ones are.  8-).

If everything is relative then its perfectly valid.    Seriously environment
influences genetics though.  We evolve to suit our environment.

;)

>> It is always safer to be an ass when backed by the masses.  If you know you
>> can get away with it\, well most will push that as far as they can.  Look at
>> these KKK rallies.  Ppl in the USA hate em, despise em mostly, but they know
>> the state protects them so they speak out.
>
> ``The difference between "the masses" and "them asses" is in when
> you hit the spacebar.''

How  true.

>>> Or if you can't win a conflict with all of society against you,
>>> and are forced to cooperate.
>>
>> Well you could withdraw as well, go buy a cabin in the mountains, join a
>> militia, etc etc.  US society gives you an out.
>
> I pointed this out to him already.  He basically argues that the
> people being annoyed, not the people doing the annoying, should be
> the ones to withdraw from society, even if there are billions of
> the former, and only one of the latter.

Well the minority would withdraw  not the majority.  Imagine 250 million
"cabins in the mountains" .

>>> Rodney King was a fleeing felon in voilation of parole.
>>
>> "Can't we all just get along".  Seriously, he may have been fleeing, but the
>> beating he got was excessive.  They are supposed to not lose control ,the
>> police I mean.
>
> It was certainly excessive.  And the overzealous officers got what
> they deserved.  But King did not "get what he deserved", and in fact,
> charges were dropped, when they probably should not have been.

True that was a bad outcome.  But in that case they were in such a pr
nightmare it isn't surprising.

>>> Noise is not data.
>>
>> It depends, there is a need in any social group for one to mock what is, to
>> question.  Now do trolls mock for that purpose or do they mock just for the
>> sake of it?
>
> Which brings us back to the issue of communication of demands; it
> does no good to stampede the cattle, if your intent is to get them
> to go to a particular spot.  The result is statistically unlikely
> to be the one you wanted when you started the stampede.

--Larry