Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:58:24 +-1100
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@shoal.net.au>
To:        "'tbandell'" <tbandell@erienet.net>
Cc:        "'Questions'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: PPP

The message about not having a password setup in ppp.secret just means you haven't password protected ppp yet. Here's an example:

# Sysname  Secret Key     Peer's IP address
mymachine   password      127.0.0.1

which i copied from a how to setup ppp page somewhere. http://pinky.interaccess.com/jay/freebsd/ppp.html.

When it crashes you should <alt><f2> and have a look at the debug console to see what it says. Could be flaky hardware or a bad line or something at your isp's end.

When installing from floppies make sure you have bin.inf on the first diskette and if you want to include any other distributions (eg manpages) put the .inf file on the last diskette of the bin/ distribution.

If you still have problems make sure you send to the list as well because there's a lot of smart and experienced people there.

hope this is of some help
Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au

Sometimes I can get all of it and other I can't and when I do get it all,
after I do it decides to stop on me and when I log back in it starts again
but after that it crashes and I have to use the emergcy shell and log in
with it, but the problem i'm having is getting my ISP to let me stay on
long enuff to get everything that I want, and also I can't figure out how
to set an IP for my machine and also set the PPP to dial in without giving
me a message like 'no password set in password.secret' i've tried editing
it and it doesn't do anything:( I have no problems getting it to connect to
my provider it's just after I get most of it done I loose conneciton and
can't get it to start again, so right now i'm downloading all of the bin
files onto my computer and see if I can install it from floppies and then
maybe after that I can get logged into my PPP account and get the rest of
what I need for it to run right, sorry to be an idiot about this:(, and
plus i'm fariliy new to Unix/Freebsd but I'm sick of Windows95 not letting
me do the stuff I need it to and crashing on me without letting me be able
to fix it before it crashs:)

Thanks