Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:30:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Faulds <frf@xocolatl.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portmap on just the loopback?

Is there a specific reason why one can not bind portmap to only
the loopback interface?

Portmap has the -h flag, but it automatically inserts 127.0.0.1
to the list if you specify the -h flag.
This prevent one from saying 'portmap -h 127.0.0.1' because it takes
the command line arg's, adds 127.0.0.1 to the list, loops "while"
there are arguments, and so tries to bind to 127.0.0.1 twice. It
errors with 'cannot bind udp: Address already in use', and exits.

I "fixed" it on a box, and it's happily portmapping along with no
problems that I can see nor any I can imagine but I have been wrong
before.

Yes there are tcp_wrappers, et al,  and yes, it's RPC not LPC, but
it there a specific reason for this behavior?

Just curious...

--
frf@xocolatl.com   39:FF:7C:52:66:9D:B9:A3  EA:67:3C:7F:D1:B6:30:36

 A good sysadmin always carries around a few feet of fiber. If he ever
 gets lost, he simply drops the fiber on the ground, waits ten minutes,
 then asks the backhoe operator for directions.
                 -- Bill Bradford <mrbill@mrbill.net>